EAST KOOTENAY ADDICTIONS SERVICES SOCIETY
Youth Substance Use Counsellor - Invermere, BC
Closing Date: September 15, 2020
East Kootenay Addiction Services Society is hiring a permanent part-time 0.8 FTE Youth Substance Use Counsellor for our Invermere location.
Working from a Harm Reduction perspective and a Bio-psycho-social-spiritual model, the Youth Substance Use Counsellor provides screening, assessment, treatment planning and individual, group and family counselling to youth and their families affected by their own or someone else’s substance misuse. In addition, the Counsellor participates in the planning, development and delivery of treatment, education and prevention programs to youth, families, schools and other community groups in the Invermere area; and provides outreach services to youth in non-traditional settings.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in an appropriate discipline suitable for substance use work such as Social Work, Counselling Psychology, and minimum of three-years relevant substance use experience.
- Experience and training working with individuals, groups and families
- Experience and training working with youth with concurrent disorder issues
- Working knowledge of the mental health and substance use system of care, including a comprehensive understanding of current approaches to substance abuse and mental health treatment.
Skills and Abilities:
- Be flexible and use analytical and critical thinking to respond to changing work conditions
- Provide therapeutic counselling services to individuals, groups and families
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, and maintain accurate and timely reports
- Establish and maintain relationships based on trust and respect, and maintain healthy interpersonal boundaries with work colleagues, community partners and clients
- Develop and implement public education and prevention activities for various community groups with a Harm Reduction focus
- Work with an inter-disciplinary team approach
- Demonstrate adherence to professional ethical values
- Maintain valid driver’s license. Must have own vehicle
- Hold a Valid first aid/CPR certification
- Provide a current Criminal Record Clearance
Salary: Commensurate with Health Science Professionals Bargaining Association and HEABC, Disciplines Allied to Social Work I, Grid Level 8
Submit cover letter and resume to:
Dean Nicholson, Executive Director
East Kootenay Addiction Services Society
202, 1617 Baker Street
Cranbrook, BC, V1C 1B4
Email: [email protected]
Only those selected for interview will be contacted.